Where Forgotten Films Dwell

Welcome to this site! It exists for one reason: to preserve the memory of films that have been forgotten about or under-appreciated throughout the ages. Take a seat, read an entry, leave a comment. You might discover your new favorite movie!

Friday, April 5, 2013

A Word on Roger Ebert

The fact that I never got to meet Roger Ebert and say "thank you" for inspiring me to pursue film criticism will haunt me for the rest of my life. All I can think of is the scene in LIFE OF PI when Richard Parker left Pi.

"And then Richard Parker, my fierce companion, the terrible one who kept me alive, disappeared forever from my life. I wept like a child, not because I was overwhelmed at having survived, although I was...I was weeping because Richard Parker left me so unceremoniously. It broke my heart...I wanted to say 'Thank you Richard Parker, you saved my life. I love you.'"

Well you saved my life, Roger.
And you left before I could say goodbye.
You left before I could say, "I love you."

But I guess it's like Pi said:

"I suppose in the end, the whole of life becomes an act of letting go, but what always hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye."

Goodbye, Roger Ebert.
I'll miss you.
I will always love you.

10 comments:

  1. What if Christopher Nolan quits INTERSTELLAR and decides to do one more film on BATMAN.

    http://afanscut.blogspot.com/2013/04/bruce-wayne.html


    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was shocked at Roger's death also. As an aspiring filmmaker, I always wanted to read one of his reviews(hopefully good)of one of my potential films. But I've sat on my ass for so long that that chance is gone, just like the opportunity of meeting Ingmar Bergman. I'm such a damn procrastinator. Anyways, I always enjoyed reading Roger's reviews, especially his "Great Movies". I didn't always agree with his conclusions (he did pan some of my favorite films!), but I always respected his love from film and the whole filmmaking process, and appreciated his insight. You will be missed, Roger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of which, you should try to come to Ebertfest sometime. It won't be the same as meeting Roger, but I feel his spirit will live on in that festival for years to come, particularly in the people who go there, year after year. It's the next best thing.

    But still, I hear you. I was fortunate enough to meet him and thank him for his encouragement, but there was so much more I was planning on telling him, and so much more he could have told me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to go to Ebertfest. But I've never been able to scrounge up the time or money...

      Delete