Where Forgotten Films Dwell

Welcome to this site! It exists for one reason: to preserve the memory of films that have been forgotten about or under-appreciated throughout the ages. Take a seat, read an entry, leave a comment. You might discover your new favorite movie!

Friday, April 8, 2011

New Video: 殺陣師段平 Tateshi Danpei (1950)

New video, folks!

Today, we have Tateshi Danpei!



Never heard of Tateshi Danpei? Well...let me tell you about it...

Directed by Japanese pulp master Masahiro Makino, Tateshi Danpei is the story of a man, and a country, at a crossroads. Swordfighting instructor Danpei works at a local theater in Tokyo, instructing the actors how to fight realistically. However, when his realistic choreography became a huge success, Danpei's obsession with the samurai tradition of swordfighting consumes his whole life, forcing him to sacrifice his health, wife, and life.

Sounds like your average Japanese melodrama, right?

Wrong.

What you may be surprised to find is that this film was written by none other than Akira Kurosawa!! Written the same year as when he made Rashomon, Tateshi Danpei focuses on several of Kurosawa's favorite themes: masculine identity and the legacy of the samurai and bushido traditions.

I won't lie, it isn't the greatest film ever made. It cranks up the melodrama HARD, especially near the end. But the film does benefit from strong performances, solid directing, and, of course, a script from a master filmmaker.

Enjoy!

Editor-in-Chief
Nathanael Hood

2 comments:

  1. Life wasn't fair to me since my woman left me and followed another man. It looked like my life was over because I couldn't concentrate on things anymore. I almost had a heart attack in the process. But I'm thankful that Dr Wale came into the picture on time for me. Dr Wale was the man that made everything much easier for me. When I came across Dr Wale online I was shy of talking to him about my situation but I never allowed my shyness to weigh me down. I talked to Dr Wale about how the woman I loved with all my heart left me without any good reason. Dr Wale promised to assist me in bringing back my woman. I pay Dr Wale for everything that is needed to get the job done. Within three days I received a message from my woman telling me she's ready to come back to me. I was shocked at first because this is a woman I couldn't reach on the phone and she blocked me on all social media platforms. She's now the one contacting me by herself. Well Dr Wale asked me not to blame her for her wrong doings that she was misled with an evil spell. I'm so thankful that Dr Wale was able to bring back my woman. Dr Wale can be a big support to you too if you need his help. His contact WhatsApp/Viber: +2347054019402 or Email: drwalespellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get your ex back and cure your infertility problems with Dr Reethesh. When I met Dr Reethesh, my husband had divorced me because I was a barren woman at 32 years of age and I have been married for five years. I went to many hospitals and all the doctors I met were telling me that i'll not be able to give birth again. The doctors were telling me that I am affected with Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Uterine Fibroids. They were advising me to go for child adoption. I was devastated and confused as a woman of my age. I went online to look for help on how to get my marriage back then I met Dr Reethesh. Within a few weeks of contacting Dr Reethesh, my ex husband came back home and pleaded for me to forgive him and take him back after six months of divorce. I accepted him back and then I told Dr Reethesh of my bareness for him to help me. He did the spell for fertility. I took the herbs he sent to me. And after some months of finishing the herbs, I conceived. My husband got me pregnant and I gave birth to a handsome son. Presently, I am a mother of a handsome son and I am happy in my marriage. All thanks to Dr Reethesh and his wonderful work. Contact Dr Reethesh Via WhatsApp: +2349012999010. OR Email: reethesh60@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete